Main Plot Points:
- CUT!, a twisted, psychological thriller, which won BEST FILM, BEST DIRECTOR, BEST LEADING ACTOR, and the AWARD of MERIT for AUDIO at the 2014 Independent Film and Television Festival was named by Movie Rankings as one of the TOP 5 HORROR MOVIES of 2014. The film stars David Banks, Dahlia Salem, Sam Scarber, Allen Maldonado and Suze Lanier-Bramlett. It was directed by David Rountree.
- In CUT!, the apparent is never the truth as an ex-con and aspirant filmmaker set out to manufacture a film by scaring people for real; however, when it goes too far and someone actually dies, the pair decide that killing for real on film is the only way to make a truly terrifying movie.
What We Thought:
- Cut! had potential to be an instant cult classic to be, but it didn’t quite get there.
- At first I thought it was going to be yet another shaky cam “horror” flick of today, but there’s more to it. It reminded me of 388 Arletta Avenue where they used the camera to serve the purpose of the film and not just as a gimmick.
- There’s many layers to the film and some work better than others. It starts out where you think the two leads just want to make the ultimate realistic slasher flick of all time and then it starts to peel away. I was actually liking the fact that they were killing people and shooting it to make a movie.
- But then as it unravels, you realize there’s more to it. Everyone seems to serve a purpose. There’s more of an agenda to it and not everything is just random. You start to realize the film is a lot smarter than you expected.
- The first ending is really smart. Now I saw first ending because there’s a second ending that comes after all the reveals. Unfortunately, all the enjoyment I picked up from the first ending was then taken away by the second. I seriously don’t understand why that last bit was tacked on. They tried to make a film smarter than it needed to be especially after a bunch of great reveals.
- Even with all that, for a film I wasn’t familiar with, Cut! is still pretty good. It built up well and had a great surprise twist. I just wish it stuck with the one twist and not the final ending.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- David Banks
- Sam Scarber
- Allen Maldonado
Recommended if You Like:
- Macabre Theater
- Stage Fright