Main Plot Points:
- Ostracized at her posh new uptown school and shaken by the death of her beloved grandmother, a 10-year-old downtown girl finds an unlikely mentor in the form of an irascible chess-master, who uses the game to teach Max lessons in resilience, perseverance, and how to embrace inevitable change.
What We Thought:
- A Little Game is a family friendly film.
- It’s not exactly my type of movie, but that’s fine. I don’t have kid or a family so it’s not something I would have gone out of my way to see.
- It’s about a girl who goes to a new school because she’s very smart. Of course the other kids make fun of her and don’t like her so she takes up chess with an older man in New York.
- She learns some life lessons, others learn life lessons, she learns the city is awesome. That’s what I got out of it at least.
- The under tween crowd should like it. It seems to be relatable although I wanted the “bad” girl to be punched in the face repeatedly, but that’s just me.
- A Little Game has a cute, young girl in it learning life lessons while having adventures. Your family should like it. Adults probably won’t.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Ralph Macchio
- Olympia Dukakis
- F. Murray Abraham
- Janeane Garofalo
Recommended if You Like:
- Ramona & Beezus
- The Suite Life
- Family Friendly Films