Main Plot Points:
- A naive man transporting lethal narcotics in his stomach is detained by the police. Alone and afraid, the “mule” makes a desperate choice — to defy his bodily functions and withhold the evidence…literally. By doing so becomes a “human time-bomb,” dragging cops, criminals. lawyers and his mother into his impossible escapade.
- Inspired by true events, The Mule is a comic nightmare of stomach-churning suspense starring Hugo Weaving (The Matrix, The Lord of the Rings), Angus Sampson (Insidious), Leigh Whannell (Saw, Insidious) and John Noble (Fringe).
What We Thought:
- The Mule is pretty much a movie about a guy who doesn’t want to crap because of drugs. Yup, that’s pretty much the entire movie.
- There’s nothing all that wrong with the movie, but it’s just really slow. Once the drug trafficking starts up, the film slows down and you wait.
- And you wait for, like I said, a guy to take a number two. He waits and waits and hopes he doesn’t crap out the drugs until the cops give up.
- I’m thinking it’s supposed to be a dark comedy or at least darkish, but I sat there waiting for something to happen the entire time.
- Plus they wasted John Noble. He’s a fantastic actor and he doesn’t get much to do here. Hugo Weaving plays one of the police officers with the criminal who’s waiting to poop so at least he has more screen time, but even Weaving is too big for a role like that.
- The Mule is inspired by true events. The events sound cool, unfortunately the movie just doesn’t have much going on. I like drug trafficking movies, I’ve seen a lot of them. If 90% of this film didn’t take place in a hotel room, I might have liked it more.
- Deleted Scenes
- 4 Behind the Scenes Featurettes
Notable Cast & Crew:
- John Noble
- Hugo Weaving
- Angus Sampson
Recommended if You Like:
- Son of a Gun
- Drug Trafficking Movies