Main Plot Points:
- This Italian exploitation horror cult classic stars a terminally creepy doctor (Klaus Kinski) at an asylum for suicidal and disturbed women. There’s a team of strange doctors, unprofessional nurses and even a hunky gardener at these ladies’ service to help them recover. In classic Giallo form director Fernando Di Leo introduces a mad-raving murderer, typically dressed in black and using the institution’s old-fashioned armory decoration as slashing tools.
- Margaret Lee and Rosalba Neri are among the frequently unclothed cast, and there are decapitations, crossbow bolts in the eye, and some fairly explicit sex. This gory slasher flick with more than its fair share of nudity is a Euro-grindhouse gem.
What We Thought:
- Slaughter Hotel is more soft core porn than actual movie.
- Sure there’s somewhat of a plot/story, but it’s just an excuse to show naked women.
- Don’t get me wrong, I certainly didn’t mind the nude women, but they could have added more to the plot. There’s a killer on the loose, here’s some naked women, here’s a death scene, naked woman, death scene, the end.
- That’s pretty much what I got out of the film. There’s tons of fans of these types of movies so I’m probably missing something. This isn’t the first nor will it be the last European made soft core porn “film” I’ve seen.
- The Black Torment and The Demons come to mind as similar movies. All of them are gothic in style, have lots of nudity and very little else. I’m sure someone is rolling their eyes at me and thinking how wrong I am, but I don’t care.
- The Blu-ray looks ok. It’s been remastered, but it’s far from gem perfect like today’s standard HD. It probably didn’t look perfect when it first came out never mind decades later. Audio is good though, easy to hear dialogue and score.
- I don’t mind watching Slaughter Hotel once, but I wouldn’t watch it again. I can say I’ve seen it, but I didn’t get much out of it. Someone seems to love these films because they made a lot of them and they seem to be popular on Blu-ray so who knows?
- Lady Frankenstein’s Memoirs
- Asylum of Fear
- Deleted Scenes
- A fully illustrated booklet
- Restored transfer and improved English subtitles
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Klaus Kinski
- Rosalba Neri
- Monica Stroebel
- Margaret Lee
Recommended if You Like:
- Blue Movie
- The Black Torment
- The Demons