Main Plot Points:
- Alice Howland, happily married with three grown children, is a renowned linguistics professor who starts to forget words. When she receives a diagnosis of Early-Onset Alzheimer’s Disease, Alice and her family find their bonds thoroughly tested. Her struggle to stay connected to who she once was is frightening, heartbreaking, and inspiring.
What We Thought:
- Julianne Moore is fantastic in Still Alice. She clearly deserves all the nominations she’s getting for the film.
- The film itself is good, but I definitely felt like I had seen it before. There’s been many Alzheimer’s films before, but this one does have a lot of talent behind it.
- I’m not a Kristen Stewart fan. She doesn’t ruin this like normally does, but she certainly doesn’t add anything to it to me. Same for Kate Bosworth. Moore is probably the best actress of the past 20 years, her “daughters” could have had better performances.
- I’m not a fan of Alec Baldwin’s personal life, but he is still a quality actor. He has believable chemistry with Moore and you can see them together. His role is very reserved and Baldwin handles it well.
- I don’t know what else to say other than the film is a good dramatic movie. You either like dramas or you don’t. If you don’t, you probably won’t like this.
- It can also hit close to home for a lot of people. If you’ve ever had to deal with this disease, you can really relate to the movie. I was just talking about the film with two friends and one’s husband recently lost their father to Alzheimer’s and she was hesitant to watch the movie.
- Julianne Moore deserves all the accolades she gets for Still Alice. The film might be tough for some people to get through, but if you like dramas with good performances, you like it.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Julianne Moore
- Kristen Stewart
- Kate Bosworth
- Alec Baldwin
Recommended if You Like:
- Away From Her
- The Savages
- A Song for Martin