Main Plot Points:
- Set along the tumultuous Arizona-Mexico border. Frontera follows Miguel (Michael Pena), a hardworking father and devoted husband who crosses the border illegally and is wrongfully accused of murdering the wife (Amy Madigan) of a former sheriff (Ed Harris).
- Miguel’s pregnant wife (Eva Longoria) lands in the hands of corrupt Mexican “Coyote” smugglers as she tries to help her husband, while the ex-lawman investigates his wife’s death and unearths evidence that could destroy one family’s future.
What We Thought:
- Frontera is a pretty solid drama, but a bit slow at parts.
- Ed Harris and the much underrated Michael Pena give really good performances. Harris is one of my favorite actors and he brings so much to a character that could have been one dimensional. Pena continues to do strong performance after strong performance.
- I’ve actually seen the trailer for the film quite a bit on other DVDs. I was looking forward to it. It’s good, but does meander a bit which hurt film.
- I wish the film just stuck with the Pena/Harris arch. Pena is arrested because the authorities think he killed Harris’ wife. Unfortunately I didn’t see the point of the Eva Longoria storyline. Sure she’s trying to get to her husband in the US, but it just felt unnecessary to me. It’s not like she really helped her husband at all.
- There are witnesses and others involved in the wife’s death so they play out more than Longoria does. It seems to drag the film especially the scenes of her trying to cross the border and being screwed over by the coyotes.
- The Blu-ray looks really good. The Mexican/Arizona backdrop looks spectacular. It’s not a full blown Western, but it’s shot like one with a lot of wide open shots showing a lot of land. Audio has full dialogue and score.
- I was hoping for a bit better from Frontera. It’s good, but not great. Harris and Pena are great, but I found myself losing interest at times and checking my email on my phone. I didn’t miss anything while doing that. It’s still pretty good, but could have been a very good film.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Ed Harris
- Michael Pena
- Eva Longoria
Recommended if You Like:
- Cold in July
- Modern Westerns
- Ed Harris