Main Plot Points:
- The worldwide phenomenon of The Hunger Games continues to set the world on fire with The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1, which finds Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) in District 13 after she literally shatters the games forever. Under the leadership of President Coin (Julianne Moore) and the advice of her trusted friends, Katniss spreads her wings as she fights to save Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) and a nation moved by her courage.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 is directed by Francis Lawrence from a screenplay by Peter Craig and Danny Strong, from an adaptation by Suzanne Collins and produced by Nina Jacobson’s Color Force in tandem with producer Jon Kilik. The novel on which the film is based is the third in a trilogy written by Suzanne Collins that has over 65 million copies in print in the U.S. alone.
What We Thought:
- I’m not a fan of Young Adult books/movies. I wasn’t a fan of the first two Hunger Games films. I’ve never read the books either. So if you care what I have to say about the latest film, keep reading.
- After seeing The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, I can’t tell you why it was broken into two films. Nothing happens in Part 1. There are two action scenes, a bunch of talking and development and very little payout.
- That’s my biggest issue with the film and it being part 1 of 2, there’s so much development and little else and then NO payout at the “end”. I put end in quotes there because just like the last film, this one really doesn’t have an ending either.
- You sit there watching Katniss and the President go back and forth with Katniss making propaganda films to help push the rebels and the President trying his best to squash the uprising. One action scene. More talking. Second action scene and over. That’s it.
- I was bored with most of the film. They should have just made one film around 3 hours long instead of 2 films for 4 hours. So much of this film is useless and three movies in, I still don’t care if Katniss ends up with Peeta or Gale. Oh Young Adult books/films, how you love to pander to your target audience with your love triangles!
- And before you think I’m just some guy who doesn’t like a strong heroine character, you are wrong. I’m a big fan of the Underworld franchise and have seen all of the Resident Evil films. I also liked Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft. The fact is, this franchise SHOULD work for me. I love me some Jen Lawrence and this COULD be her in leather shooting things/peoples with arrows. It could be bad ass, but it’s Young Adult corny. I roll my eyes multiple times while watching this franchise.
- It is completely irrelevant that I found The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 boring and slow. It’s going to be a box office juggernaut. It’s critic proof. Fans have already pre-purchased tickets and I’ll be shocked if it opens below $150 million in the US. You know whether or not the movie is for you. That’s all there is to say about it.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Jennifer Lawrence
- Liam Hemsworth
- Josh Hutcherson
- Elizabeth Banks
- Stanley Tucci
Recommended if You Like:
- The Hunger Games franchise
- Young Adult books/films