Main Plot Points:
- Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels reprise their signature roles as Lloyd and Harry in the sequel to the smash hit that took the physical comedy and kicked it in the nuts: Dumb and Dumber To.
- The original film’s directors, Peter and Bobby Farrelly, take Lloyd and Harry on a road trip to find a child Harry never knew he had and the responsibility neither should ever, ever be given.
What We Thought:
- Dumb and Dumber To is nowhere near the classic of the original, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t laugh a lot.
- Sure it’s pretty “dumb” humor, but what can I say? I laughed. I’d see it again, but it’s not even close to being the quotable, great flick the original is.
- Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels still have great chemistry. Twenty years later they still go back and forth quite well. Just like the original, they find themselves on the road and their usual antics occur.
- We also get some side characters this time around. Kathleen Turner plays the mother of a long lost child. The Walking Dead’s Laurie Holden plays the adoptive mother. Rachel Melvin (who is quite funny) plays the daughter. And the always awesome Rob Riggle is, well awesome as always.
- Twenty years is a long time to wait for a sequel, but the plot works because of it. You couldn’t have a grown daughter without the long time gap. You wouldn’t have an opening joke at a psych ward between Lloyd and Harry. A lot of the jokes are similar to the first, but because it’s been so many years, they don’t seem as rehashed (although I’ll admit, some fall flat because they are rehashed).
- The biggest disappointment might be all the rumors around the movie. Jennifer Lawrence had her cameo pulled. I thought I heard a rumor about Boston Bruins star Milan Lucic appearing like former Bruin Cam Neely did in 1994. There is one cameo in it, but he’s pretty unrecognizable because of a mask. I won’t say who although some sites are giving it away already.
- Is Dumb and Dumber To great? Nope. Is it funny? For the most part. I’d watch it again, but don’t expect to love it like Dumb and Dumber. It’s been a bad year for comedies and this won’t exactly break that streak. It’ll make money (especially opening weekend), but I don’t think it’ll be huge.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Jim Carrey
- Jeff Daniels
- Peter & Bobby Farrelly
Recommended if You Like:
- Dumb and Dumber
- There’s Something About Mary
- Farrelly Brothers Movies
Follow me at www.Twitter.com/Murraymaker