Main Plot Points:
- From Walt Disney Animation Studios, the team behind “Frozen” and “Wreck-It Ralph,” comes “Big Hero 6,” an action-packed comedy-adventure about the special bond that develops between Baymax (voice of Scott Adsit), a plus-sized inflatable robot, and prodigy Hiro Hamada (voice of Ryan Potter).
- When a devastating event befalls the city of San Fransokyo and catapults Hiro into the midst of danger, he turns to Baymax and his close friends adrenaline junkie Go Go Tomago (voice of Jamie Chung), Wasabi (voice of Damon Wayans Jr.), chemistry whiz Honey Lemon (voice of Genesis Rodriguez) and fanboy Fred (voice of T.J. Miller). Determined to uncover the mystery, Hiro transforms his friends into a band of high-tech heroes called “Big Hero 6.”
What We Thought:
- I liked Big Hero 6, but I didn’t love it. The kids will love it though.
- I don’t know what I expected from the movie, but I think I was expecting something different. It has all the charm of a Disney film and the kids in the theater seemed to laugh a lot so that’s all that matters.
- Don’t get me wrong, I laughed too, just not as often. I thought TJ Miller was great. His character had me laughing the most. Well maybe Baymax (voiced by Scott Adsit) did.
- Baymax is pretty fantastic. He’s funny. He has heart. You root for him. Adsit plays him perfectly. He looks huggable like Sully from Monster’s Inc., but has the heart of Wall-E. He’ll sell lots of toys.
- I think my biggest issue is the lack of backstory and development. Kids won’t care about any of that of course, but honestly, I just didn’t think any of the characters besides Hiro had anything to them. His friends just seem to help because of his brother and you really know nothing about them besides TJ Miller’s character’s reveal. The bad guys have no real backstory or development. You just assume they are the bad guys. Sure there is a slight twist to it, but there’s no real development.
- My favorite thing about the movie was all the robots in it. There’s lots of old style robots throughout. As someone who grew up on cartoon robots, those Easter Eggs were cool to me.
- The animation is cool and it looks really good. There’s times Baymax looks like he’s flying like Iron-Man and it definitely has a superhero vibe.
- I liked Big Hero 6 more than Frozen but less than Wreck-It Ralph. I’d watch it again, but I don’t know if it’s one I’d go out of my way to own. But your kids will love it. Make sure to get there early to see the short film playing before it, it’s fantastic and I’m not even a dog person!
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Scott Adsit
- Ryan Potter
- T.J. Miller
- Jamie Chung
- Damon Wayans Jr.
- Genesis Rodriguez
- James Cromwell
- Alan Tudyk
- Maya Rudolph.
Recommended if You Like:
- The Incredibles
- Wreck-It Ralph
- Disney Films