Main Plot Points:
- Fighting for Gold at the Sochi Paralympics. Sled hockey is a riveting game of force, speed, and strategy. Sometimes called murderball on blades, this is a sport for athletes with disabilities who are ready to hit hard and shoot fast. Players battle with their sticks, their sharp sled runners, and the serrated ice picks used to propel their sleds.
- ICE WARRIORS follows the U.S. Paralympic Sled Hockey team through grueling preparations leading up to the 2014 Paralympic Games, then focuses in on the dramatic competition in Sochi, Russia. The Americans are aiming for something that s never been done before back-to-back gold medals. They need to work hard to come together as a team, with military veterans playing alongside teenagers, experienced players guiding the rookies.
- The film showcases their emotional stories of injury and resilience, their hard work in training camps and elite international competitions, and their personal challenges on the ice and at home.
What We Thought:
- Ice Warriors: USA Sled Hockey is a great watch and very inspiring.
- What I liked about it is how different the back stories are. You have some men who lost limbs as soldiers. Others who were born that way. And other team members who lost them in accidents. Each player has his story and it’s fascinating to see them bond together because of it.
- I also liked how some of the men grew up playing hockey yet some never played till they started playing sled hockey. One joked about being Hispanic and Hispanics never play hockey.
- The military men talk about the same things, being a team again, having brothers that you belong with. That’s something a lot of people don’t think of or understand, that lack of team when soldiers return. These men find a new team on the ice.
- I don’t want to give away much in terms of how the team performs in the documentary. You should watch it and find out. It’s very inspiring to see these guys being physical, being athletic, being allowed to feel like athletes and teammates when society says they are different. It’s a tough game and these guys take a beating out there.
- It would make a great film to watch in school. Kids need to see people like this today. It’s also a great watch at home with your family.
- If you liked the documentary Murderball, you’ll definitely like Ice Warriors: USA Sled Hockey. If you like hockey, you’ll like this as well. If you just want to feel good, definitely pop this in.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Members of Team USA
Recommended if You Like:
- PBS Specials
Follow me at www.Twitter.com/Murraymaker