Main Plot Points:
- This 1973 documentary by the award-winning director Tony Palmer shone a light on the multi-millionaire Hugh Hefner and his Playboy empire. It gave Hefner the opportunity to tell his story and, of course, it offended the usual suspects – Mary Whitehouse, the Daily Express and many more.
- The film charts Hefner’s rise from a small-time publisher to Playboy becoming one of the world’s best known brands. As Hefner says: “”We had no money at all, and I mean literally no money. I doubt that any major magazine in our time has ever been started with as little initial investment. My own investment in Playboy was $600, all of it borrowed. The entire enterprise is now valued, in 1973, at something around $200 million.””
- “”A brilliant, thoroughly good humoured and subtle dissection of an extraordinary man by a master film maker.”” – The Times
What We Thought:
- Hugh Hefner: The Founder and Editor of Playboy is an early 1970s documentary on Hef. Yup it is.
- Of course it seems dated because it’s 40 years old and we know much more about Hef now because of reality TV, but this Hef seems much different.
- The Hef in this seems kind of like a D-Bag. He comes across very pompous and very egotistical. Sure he’s a self made man and icon, but this doesn’t paint him in a good light.
- He talks about all the technology he has so that he can do everything he needs to do. He’s able to record the 6 o’clock news and watch it later because of technology. He has a black plane because no one else has black. He talks about different rooms and the design of his homes. He talks about his animals and pools. He comes across very Donald Trump like.
- I’m not really sure what the point of this documentary is. Maybe back then this was groundbreaking but by today’s reality TV standards, it’s nothing out of the ordinary. It just played like an episode of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous to me plus some nudity.
- Other than showing a different type of Hef, I’m not sure what people will get out of Hugh Hefner: The Founder and Editor of Playboy today. I certainly didn’t get much out of it.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Hugh Hefner
- Playboy Playmates
Recommended if You Like:
- Hugh Hefner
- Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous