Main Plot Points:
- Dominic Roy (Callan McAuliffe) is a 17-year old headstrong and hardworking teen who works in the local potato harvest farm to earn money to escape the struggling Maine hometown hopefully for a better future.
- Dominic’s best friend Casper (Emory Cohen), a reckless teenager whom has always dreamed with Dominic about leaving Van Buren, Maine and moving to Boston. But they need to earn enough money in order to do that. Dominic and Casper both have their own ways of earning the money.
- While Dominic works hard on the farm to earn his money, Casper on the other hand works with his outlaw father Clayton (Aidan Gillen) to smuggle drugs across the border of Canada. This challenges the two best friends’ friendship and loyalty towards each other.
What We Thought:
- Beneath The Harvest Sky always seems to be riding that fine line of trying too hard to being a hard-nosed coming of age story and an authentic look at teenagers coming into their own after leaving their small town.
- In a sense, the filmmakers get a lot of things right; the monotony of small town life and how those who are born into it have a tendency to either die there, or do anything they can to leave.
- On the other hand, the story tends to take us on a journey that’s a bit too much to be reasonably believed.
- The film did do a great job in showing how the friends Dominic and Casper got over their heads when they begin to smuggle drugs for money. These tense moments were captured and performed pretty honestly and is what tends to keep the film as grounded as it could.
- While this film is mostly beautifully directed, the film moves at a snail’s pace, leaving only a handful of scenes that feel worth the viewing.
- This Blu-ray as expected looks and sounds fantastic. The filmmakers clearly knew how to shoot this film visually with a lot of cold and soft tones and the visuals on this disc look like it’s how it was intended to be presented. Interestingly enough, this Blu-ray is graded with DTS-HD 2.0 and 5.1; something that many bigger budget films don’t even include.
- Deleted Scenes
- Terra Chips Presents: Inside the LaJoie Farm
- Terra Chips Presents: Behind the Scenes
Notable Cast & Crew:
- No one you’ve ever heard of
Recommended if You Like:
- Coming of age stories about small town America
Follow me on Twitter @Dan_Schiller