Main Plot Points:
- High school freshman Jason has found his dream girl – the gorgeous Anastacia. There’s just one problem: she doesn’t know he exists. If he can win a spot on the school’s hottest dance crew, Jason might have a shot.
- But before he does, he’ll have to overcome his battle-ax of a mother, survive Anastacia’s gangsta brother, and pass the crew’s initiation in this fresh, sexy, and outrageously funny comedy.
What We Thought:
- To say I’m the wrong target audience for School Dance is an understatement yet I somehow can’t trash this movie.
- I’m not a dance movie fan, but there’s more to this. Surprisingly it’s a film with heart and I don’t just mean Kevin.
- Underneath all the swearing, the hip hop, the dancing, it’s really just a coming of age story. A story about a kid trying to land his crush. The lead reminded me a lot of the main character in Everybody Hates Chris. He’s awkward. He’s terrible with girls. He just wants to have friends. You actually root for him.
- The supporting cast is funny. You have Kevin Hart looking Straight Outta Compton. Mike Epps trying to run the school. Luenell as the crazy mom. Katt Williams, George Lopez and Wilmer Valderrama also make appearances. Plus look for Jim Breuer and Patrick Warburton in a cowboy hat!
- Sure the movie is a bit of a spoof, but unlike what’s become of the Scary Movie franchise, at least this film has a point. They are poking fun at hip hop culture and today’s world, but the story is still about Jason and him just wanting to fit in.
- I can’t honestly explain how I didn’t hate every minute of School Dance. Nick Cannon directed it and co-wrote it. Nothing about that sounds like a movie for me. Yet I found myself laughing at it at times and rooting for the lead. I’m as shocked as you are!
- Audio Commentary with Nick Cannon
- Deleted Scenes
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Kevin Hart
- Katt Williams
- George Lopez
- Wilmer Valderrama
Recommended if You Like:
- Everybody Hates Chris
- You Got Served
- Urban Dance Comedies