Main Plot Points:
- An ex-hitman comes out of retirement to track down the gangsters that took everything from him. With New York City as his bullet-riddled playground, JOHN WICK (Keanu Reeves) is a fresh and stylized take on the “assassin genre”.
What We Thought:
- John Wick is way better than I expected. It’s a pretty badass action flick from Keanu Reeves who really needed a hit.
- I’ll be honest, I was hoping the movie wasn’t very good. Keanu hasn’t had a big movie in a long time and I was secretly wishing he would start doing Straight to DVD films with Nic Cage because that would be awesome. But instead the movie is really good and entertained me throughout.
- I actually liked it more than the recent film The Equalizer. I liked that Denzel flick, but this felt more like a 1990s movie to me and man do I miss the 1990s.
- It’s over the top violent and uses music perfectly. The score really works to set tone and add intensity. It reminded me a lot of The Crow from 1994. It even has a similar action scene in a building.
- You don’t find this type of violence in mainstream Hollywood movies anymore. There’s lot of head shots and arm/leg breaking. Lots of knife play. You still see that in Asian flicks, but Hollywood seems to want more PG-13 “violence”, more comic-y, Transformers-ish action.
- The co-directors of the film have stunt backgrounds and it pays off. Reeves does some of his best action work since The Matrix films. Besides the gun play and driving stunts, he does a lot of hand to hand fighting. He’s not as young as he used to be, but he really seems to fit the character, an aging/retired hitman. His character even makes comments about being rusty coming out of retirement.
- The movie has a lot more to it than just violence though. There’s an underlying story about rules, honor and respect. There’s a building that all the bad guys and Wick go to that no business is supposed to be conducted. There’s a hierarchy and all must follow the rules. The kingpin’s son broke the rules and the result is the revenge Wick seeks.
- John Wick is a solid revenge flick. I had fun with it throughout. Reeves is at the top of his game and if you were like me and wrote him off, he proves he can still be an action star. I hope it gets a sequel or even a prequel (about his life as a hitman). I can see it opening number one and it’s something I would definitely watch again with friends.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Keanu Reeves
- Michael Nyvquist
- Bridget Moynahan
- John Leguizamo
- Willem Dafoe
- Dean Winters
- Ian McShane
Recommended if You Like:
- The Equalizer
- The Crow
- Revenge Flicks
Follow me at www.Twitter.com/Murraymaker