Main Plot Points:
- GONE GIRL – directed by David Fincher and based upon the global bestseller by Gillian Flynn – unearths the secrets at the heart of a modern marriage. On the occasion of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck) reports that his beautiful wife, Amy (Rosamund Pike), has gone missing.
- Under pressure from the police and a growing media frenzy, Nick’s portrait of a blissful union begins to crumble. Soon his lies, deceits and strange behavior have everyone asking the same dark question: Did Nick Dunne kill his wife?
What We Thought:
- Gone Girl is a fantastic film with two halves that have you thinking the entire time.
- Two things first. One, I love David Fincher films. I was looking forward to this simply because of Fincher. Second, I have never read the book it’s based on. I have no idea how accurate it is to the book or anything like that and had no expectations for it other than it being a Fincher film.
- The first half is your classic “Who done it?” storyline. Authorities think it’s the husband (Ben Affleck) that‘s behind all of it. The second half is a total mind f…, um, it’ll blow your mind, there that’s nicer. I really don’t want to talk about the story at all because you should know as little as possible going into it.
- So for those that haven’t read the book like me, I don’t want to even hint at the second half because I was shocked at the midpoint twist. So I’ll talk about the acting. Ben Affleck is solid. With roles in Argo and The Town, Affleck proved he was a better actor than people gave him props for. The big surprise here is Tyler Perry. Perry plays Affleck’s lawyer and I have to give credit where credit is due, he’s genuinely good in it. Yeah Perry showed he can do non-Tyler Perry roles and be surprisingly good at it (despite somehow not knowing who David Fincher was).
- But if I’m not going to talk about the twist or story at all, I have to talk about Rosamund Pike. She is absolutely incredible in this. I can’t see anyone topping my personal Best Actress list this year ahead of Pike. Wow, wow, wow. She better get nominated across the board for every movie award.
- Gone Girl is a must see. Fincher continues to paint one of the prettiest pictures in the game. His films are practically flawless. Add in a subtle score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (who have scored the past few Fincher films) plus an extremely well acted movie and you get a film that will easily be in most top 10 lists of 2014.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Ben Affleck
- Rosamund Pike
- Neil Patrick Harris
- Tyler Perry
- Director David Fincher
Recommended if You Like:
- The Game
- Gone Girl (the book the movie is based off of)
- David Fincher films!