Main Plot Points:
- Amidst the haunting refineries of Southeast Texas, hard-drinking single dad Hollis (two-time Emmy Award-winner Aaron Paul) struggles to raise his two boys, including rebellious teenager Jacob (first-time actor Josh Wiggins, in a stunning breakthrough performance).
- Obsessed with heavy metal and seething with rebellious anger, Jacob finds release in the high-risk, white-knuckle world of motocross but his increasingly reckless behavior threatens to spin out of control, especially when it starts to involve his younger brother Wes (newcomer Deke Garner). When the local authorities catch wind of the increasingly volatile situation, Wes is taken into custody by his Aunt Pam (Academy Award nominee Juliette Lewis), leaving Jacob and Hollis to fend for themselves.
- In Wes’ absence, Jacob becomes increasingly obsessed with two things: winning a local motocross championship and getting his brother back. With a scorching central performance by Wiggins and heart-wrenchingly raw turns by Paul and Lewis, HELLION is a powerful portrait of a family on the brink of dissolution that s impossible to shake.
What We Thought:
- Hellion is a pretty solid family drama with excellent performances.
- I’m a big Aaron Paul fan and he’s even nicer in person. With more films like this, he will show he’s a really good actor beyond Breaking Bad (not that he wasn’t brilliant in that!). He plays a really good down on his luck dad trying to do right by his boys.
- His boys are played by newcomers and both are really good as well. Josh Wiggins should have a career ahead of him if he wants one. He’s equal parts young James Dean and Kelly Leak (The Bad News Bears). He captures teen angst perfectly without ever pushing it too far or making it unbearable.
- I really liked the story as well. You don’t often see the father taking care of the children in movies and as a man, I like seeing it. Plus it’s believable in the friendships and brotherhood. The children are allowed to act like real children, look like children and are played by children. That makes it much more believable and relatable.
- I liked the backdrop as well. The small town feel reminded me of Boyhood and I just got a Richard Linklater vibe while watching.
- Hellion is a quality little film. Fans of Aaron Paul should really like it. Hopefully more people find it now that it’s out on DVD. Look into it.
- Original Short Film
- Behind the Scenes
- Sundance Premiere
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Aaron Paul
- Juliette Lewis
- Josh Wiggins
Recommended if You Like:
- Beneath the Harvest Sky
Follow me at www.Twitter.com/Murraymaker