Main Plot Points:
- On his debut comedy album “The Shallow End”, Chris Franjola relives his experiences on the road with tales of blood-smeared hotels and the world’s most unusual strip club.
- A writer and performer on E!’s hit show “Chelsea Lately”, Franjola has starred on the critically acclaimed scripted comedy series “After Lately” and is the host of the “Sons of Anarchy” after-show “Anarchy Afterword”. When he isn’t busy writing and acting, he’s performing stand-up on the road, headlining venues across the country.
What We Thought:
- I know Chris Franjola from Chelsea Lately, but really haven’t heard too much of his stand up. Listening to The Shallow End, I gotta say, I liked it.
- The Shallow End covers everything from being the creepy, older guy at the club to taking pictures of your privates and spending Christmas Eve with a slutty Greek 4 year old.
- Franjola’s set isn’t too different from what you might hear any night at any comedy club, but his delivery and his way of personalizing it really makes it work. Most stand ups over 30 have some part of a routine talking about how different dating is today because of technology and what not, but Franjola is still able to make his funny.
- He uses crowd members to really get his point across. A younger audience member pronounces her name wrong and he goes off on it and it’s quite funny especially juxtaposed against an older male audience member. He goes back to them a few times throughout and it worked for me.
- His bit about spending two weeks with his parents around Christmas is quite funny as well. From shopping with them at Kohl’s, driving around in a Saturn and making Christmas wreaths, whether or not it actually happened, you believe him that it did.
- Then there’s the 4 year old Greek girl on Christmas Eve. I won’t get into it because you need to hear it for yourself, but believe me, you’ll be shaking your head.
- Of course he talks about his time on Chelsea Lately and some of the things he had to watch for the show. He goes back to the older male audience member and asks him if he watches certain shows on TV and then explains to him what they are. As someone who hates reality TV as well, it’s funny hearing him make fun of shows like I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant.
- Chris Franjola: The Shallow End is a pretty solid routine. There’s some jokes that seem like others you’ve heard (just last weekend I heard David Spade do a similar Crayola 64 count crayon bit), but overall I still liked it. If you aren’t familiar with his work beyond the TV show, check it out.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Chris Franjola
Recommended if You Like:
- Chelsea Lately
- Chris Franjola
- Josh Wolf
Follow me at www.Twitter.com/Murraymaker