Main Plot Points:
- Simon is a timid man, scratching out an isolated existence in an indifferent world. He is overlooked at work, scorned by his mother, and ignored by the woman of his dreams. He feels powerless to change any of these things.
- The arrival of a new co-worker, James, serves to upset the balance. James is both Simon’s exact physical double and his opposite – confident, charismatic and good with woman. To Simon’s horror, James slowly starts taking over his life.
What We Thought:
- I watched The Double. Then I talked to others who had watched The Double. After talking with them, we all came to the same conclusion, we have no idea what the heck happened in The Double.
- It was shot cool and looked great. Just don’t ask me what it’s about. It has a cool vibe and look, but that’s all I can honestly say about it.
- At first I was thinking it was maybe like Fight Club and there weren’t actually two Eisenbergs, just one side of him that comes out. But I don’t think that’s right.
- I don’t want to say too much because I don’t want to spoil it. I don’t get it, but maybe say something about the James character will make more sense to someone else, but I doubt it anyways. No one I know understood this movie!
- Jesse Eisenberg gives two solid performances in The Double, I just wish I got the movie. I must have missed something, but it looks like a lot of us did.
- Creating “The Double:” The Story and Design
- Cast and Characters
- Behind the Scenes Comparisons
- Interview with Writer / Director Richard Ayoade
- AXS TV: A Look at “The Double”
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Jesse Eisenberg
- Mia Wasikowska
- Jesse Eisenberg (See what I did there?)
Recommended if You Like:
- The Devil’s Double
- Jesse Eisenberg