Main Plot Points:
- Based on Lawrence Block’s bestselling series of mystery novels, A Walk among the Tombstones stars Liam Neeson as Matt Scudder, an ex-NYPD cop who now works as an unlicensed private investigator operating just outside the law.
- When Scudder reluctantly agrees to help a heroin trafficker (Dan Stevens) hunt down the men who kidnapped and then brutally murdered his wife, the PI learns that this is not the first time these men have committed this sort of twisted crime…nor will it be the last. Blurring the lines between right and wrong, Scudder races to track the deviants through the backstreets of New York City before they kill again.
What We Thought:
- I’ve rather enjoyed Liam Neeson’s recent run at action movies. The Grey is fantastic. I liked Taken a lot (and didn’t hate the sequel like everyone else). Are they game changing films? Of course not, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t looking forward to A Walk Among the Tombstones.
- After watching it, I was really disappointed. It’s not as action packed as his other films and I really couldn’t get into too many of the characters.
- The young black character really bothered me. The movies is based in 1999 and some of his words just seemed really clichéd at this point. There’s one scene with him and Neeson talking about a gun that just made me laugh. Plus they give him the most stereotypical black disease you can give to a black character. That really bothered me.
- I didn’t like the tone of the film either. It would start going one way, then Neeson with the boy, then Neeson with the drug dealers, Neeson trying to get the bad guys. It seemed segmented too much to me.
- Plus Neeson didn’t kick enough butt for me. He’s been doing some crazy fight scenes in movies like Non-Stop and Taken, but he doesn’t do that much here. The final fight scene isn’t too bad, but by then I just wasn’t into the movie anymore.
- I think the movie disappointed the same way The Drop did to me. Nothing about felt all that original or new. I feel like I’ve seen a ton of similar movies who have done this better. Obviously most people don’t watch as many movies as I do, but I guarantee you’ve seen something similar even in an episode of Law & Order.
- A Walk Among the Tombstones is just another movie opening this weekend. There are other movies out that are better. There are others that are worse. Neeson fans might like it, but if you are expecting over the top fighting, you will probably be disappointed.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Liam Neeson
- Dan Stevens
- David Harbour
Recommended if You Like: