Main Plot Points:
- A disturbing series of events are set into motion when a mysterious man disrupts the comfortable existence of an affluent family in this drama from writer/producer/director Alex Van Warmerdam. Narrowly escaping death when three armed men raid his underground bunker, enigmatic vagabond Camiel Borgman (Jan Bijvoet) swiftly warns his associates to be on watch before cleaning up in a gas station bathroom, and escaping into an upper class neighborhood.
- There, he is violently assaulted by hot-headed husband and father Richard (Jeroen Perceval) after requesting to take a bath in his home, and insinuating that he was once close with Richard’s artist wife Marina (Hadewych Minis) who takes mercy on the stranger, nursing him back to health and offering to let him sleep in their guest house on the agreement that he remains a secret from Richard. Later, after scheming with Marina, Camiel murders their gardener. Subsequently altering his appearance, Camiel returns under the guise of answering an ad for a new gardened.
- Upon being hired, he quickly summons his four associates, who begin to insidiously integrate themselves into the household. Meanwhile the more time Camiel and his flock spend with Marina, Richard, and their two children, the more apparent it becomes that there is a very clear purpose to their intrusion – but not everyone will live to find out what the purpose is.
What We Thought:
- Ever watch a movie and think “I have no idea what I just watched or what that was about”? Well have I got a movie for you! It’s called Borgman and I have no idea what it was about.
- It was so bizarre and I couldn’t figure it out that I honestly went back and re-watched the first 20 minutes of the movie right after the first watching to see if I missed something. Turns out I didn’t.
- It seems simple enough. A guy that lives under the woods goes to a random house to find a place to bathe after some men try to find him in the woods. But then it turns out he knows the wife at the house and she knows him. But that’s all I got. Maybe you need to drink the Kool-Aid like the kids did in the movie to understand this.
- I don’t want to spoil anything, but can someone let me know if they were aliens? Were they body snatchers? Were they angels? Re-watching the beginning there was a priest so maybe angels? The one guy had a mark on this back that looked like it could have been where wings were cut off but if they were aliens it could have been anything. I genuinely have no idea.
- The Blu-ray looks good. It’s your standard HD movie of today. The backdrop of the yard and forest had good coloring as did the inside of the house. Audio had easy to hear dialogue and score.
- Borgman was a giant WTF to me. I looked it up a bit while writing this and someone was leaning towards demons and not angels. Who knows? Who cares? I don’t. I don’t get it. The nanny was hot, that’s all I got.
- Deleted Scenes
- 28-Page Booklet
- Theatrical Trailer
- Digital Download
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Hadewych Minis
- Jan Bijvoet
- Jeroen Perceval
Recommended if You Like:
- Under the Skin
- Foreign Films
- Being Confused at Movies!