Main Plot Points:
- An arresting medieval epic starring Mads Mikkelsen (A ROYAL AFFAIR, VALHALLA RISING, Hannibal), Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas explores the high cost of vengeance. With the age of feudalism in decline, Europe rests at a tense crossroads between the old world and the new.
- Respected, well-to-do horse merchant Michael Kohlhaas is a loving husband and family man leading a peaceful existence, until a ruthless nobleman steals his horses, setting off a chain of irreversible events. Kohlhaas resorts to extremes after these crimes destroy his livelihood and trust in the law, igniting a rampage through the countryside in his quest for justice.
What We Thought:
- Somehow both Rocky Maxwell and I ended up watching Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas and we both thought the same thing: disappointing. I usually like Mads Mikkelsen, but this lost my attention.
- Mikkelsen is good as usual but the story did nothing for me. It’s easy enough to follow long, but nowhere near as epic as it wants to be. I think that’s the film’s problem, it’s not as good as it could/should/wants to be.
- There’s not a lot that goes on for it to be epic. There are a couple of fight sequences, but they are incredibly lame. You want battles and big fights, this doesn’t have that. When Mikkelsen and his men take the castle, it’s ok, but nothing big. Then there’s a scene that wants to be a battle and it’s just a few guys on horses without any real violence.
- The ending didn’t help either. Maybe they were hoping it would be Braveheart-ish, but it didn’t do it for me. Not enough happens in between action scenes and the action scenes were lame on top of it.
- The Blu-ray looks really good though. The sky looks beautiful and the scenery is great. HD is the way to go. Audio has full score and dialogue.
- Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas is nowhere as good as it should be. I didn’t know the story going into it and the film did nothing for me to want to look into it more. It’s just too lackluster for me.
- Interview with Mads Mikkelsen
- Interview with Arnaud Des Pallieres
- Deleted Scenes
- Theatrical Trailer
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Mads Mikkelsen
Recommended if You Like:
- Valhalla Rising
- Mads Mikkelsen