Main Plot Points:
- A lottery windfall leads to betrayal and murder among a group of gruff factory workers, three of whom are ex-cons. When Oscar, Thor, Billy, and Tresko won nearly 2 million Norwegian Kroner, they thought all of their problems had been solved.
- Trouble arises, however, when the sum proves difficult to split between the four winners, and greed gets the best of everyone involved. Later, detectives discover Oscar bloodied in a strip club, clutching a shotgun and surrounded by corpses, the ensuing interrogation reveals just how low some men will sink in order to strike it rich.
What We Thought:
- Jackpot has some funny stuff but isn’t a home run. I overall liked it, but it could have been better.
- Maybe some of it gets lost in translation, but this could have been really good. It has dark comedy elements and a decent crime caper element, but at times it didn’t blend well.
- I’m not familiar with anyone in the cast, but I thought they were pretty good. The story is pretty much told through Oscar as he recounts the events to a police officer. The actor playing Oscar is solid as is the guy playing Thor.
- There are parts that made me laugh, like when they are trying to get rid of bodies and the shoot out is good. I just don’t know why the film itself didn’t fully round out for me.
- The Blu-ray looks good. There’s lots of really rich red in the blood and it has some decent backdrops. Audio has easy to hear dialogue and score.
- I could see Hollywood remaking Jackpot for an American audience. It has similar tones to A Simple Plan, but I liked that one a bit more. Still for a movie I had never heard of it, it’s not bad.
- Behind the Scenes of Jackpot
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Kyrre Hellum
- Mads Ousdal
- Henrik Mestad
Recommended if You Like:
- Out of Sight
- A Simple Plan
- Crime Capers/Darkish Comedies