Main Plot Points:
- Code named ‘The November Man’; Peter Devereaux (Pierce Brosnan) is an extremely dangerous and highly trained ex-CIA agent, who is lured out of quiet retirement on a very personal mission. He must protect valuable witness, Alice Fournier, (Olga Kurylenko) who could expose the truth behind a decades old conspiracy.
- He soon discovers this assignment makes him a target of his former friend and CIA protégé David Mason (Luke Bracey). With growing suspicions of a mole in the agency, there is no one Devereaux can trust, no rules and no holds barred.
What We Thought:
- Poor Pierce Brosnan, he deserves way better than The November Man. I thought it looked pretty good in the trailers, but I ended up with an extremely generic action movie. You’ll hear the word generic often in this.
- Brosnan plays a CIA agent who left the business, but is brought back in. I guess they kind of explained how his handler got him back, but to be honest, it doesn’t matter. He goes toe to toe with his understudy and there’s Russian bad guys and a former girl who was sexually abused. That’s all you need to know.
- Nothing about the film is original. We’ve seen Russian bad guys before. We’ve seen former agents take on former teammates. We’ve seen the Russian prostitute/sex slave/terrorist angle before. Just plain generic storytelling.
- The thing is, if you are going to have an uninspired story, have some kick ass action. Does this have kick ass action? Nope. It has generic fights, crappy explosions, a boring car chase, blah one on one action. Just nothing to get my blood going. You had a sniper guy and even that didn’t do it for me and I love snipers!
- I understand that Brosnan is getting up there in age, but Harrison Ford, Kevin Costner, and Denzel Washington still do action well. It’s not exactly Brosnan’s fault that the movie is a dud, he’s actually the only positive. His understudy (the sniper) played by Luke Bracey is bad. For a younger action guy, his scenes were so lame. If you thought Jai Courtney in A Good Day to Die Hard was bad, wait till you see this. Even Olga Kurylenko who I normally like isn’t given much to do. Her character should have a great arc, but instead comes across as the token hot girl. Yes, she is quite stunning, but she’s a better actress than that.
- I don’t know if I’m being nice or harsh for giving The November Man a 1.5/5. It might be closer to a 2/5, but I think my expectations for it made it seem far worse than what it is. It has clichéd dialogue and lackluster action sequences and it’s a film I’d probably never watch again, but it’s not the worst movie I’ve seen this summer. Still it’s just another film I’ve seen this year, nothing more or less.
- And I still don’t understand why it’s called The November Man.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Pierce Brosnan
- Luke Bracey
- Olga Kurylenko
Recommended if You Like:
- Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit
- Vantage Point
- Generic Spy “Thrillers”