Main Plot Points:
- Miles of twisting catacombs lie beneath the streets of Paris, the eternal home to countless souls. When a team of explorers ventures into the uncharted maze of bones, they uncover the dark secret that lies within this city of the dead.
- A journey into madness and terror, As Above/So Below reaches deep into the human psyche to reveal the personal demons that come back to haunt us all.
What We Thought:
- Every time a new horror film hits theaters I think it’s going to be better than all the rest. That finally there will be one that’s good. Alas As Above, So Below is just like the rest, a complete waste of time.
- All it is is gimmicky, cheap filmmaking. I hate shaky cam almost as much as found footage flicks. I get it, you want to show POVs, but if you show people putting on cameras, guess what? You don’t have to use shaky cam. Put the camera on a damn tripod or something else and have a normal picture. We know it’s a head cam, we saw you put them on all the characters, we don’t need it shaking. I can’t stand it.
- There is nothing original about the film either. It uses jump scares that are terrible and not scary. It uses quick cuts of things around them which aren’t scary. I sat there bored out of my mind hoping it would end.
- And the worst part is, the story behind it is a joke. They combine many mythologies that would have nothing to do with one another. They had a Templar Knight in the tomb yet talked about Alchemists and Egyptian mythology. What does any of that have to do with one another? Nothing. All of it is accurate separately, but you can’t combine them!
- About the only positive is the lead actress is cute. Yup that’s it. Well that and it’s relatively short. None of the acting wasn’t anything special. It wasn’t scary. It looked cheap. It didn’t make sense.
- As Above, So Below is just another generic, run of the mill “horror” movie of today. If it was scary, it would be coming out in October around Halloween. Instead it’s coming out in August. That should tell you something.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Perdita Weeks
- Ben Feldman
- Edwin Hodge
Recommended if You Like:
- The Cave
- The Descent
- Shaky Cam “Horror” Flicks