- Nicolas Cage and Gary Sinise star in this acclaimed Brian De Palma thriller that combines the glitter, glamour and bedlam of a heavyweight championship fight with pulse-pounding mystery and excitement.
- Cage plays Rick Santoro, a flamboyant Atlantic City police detective who’s come to watch the fight and cash in on the hectic betting action. Suddenly, gunfire cuts down a ringside government official, and 14,000 fans suddenly become 14,000 suspects.
- What eyewitnesses saw, what a casino-wide spycam network reveals and what a mysterious woman in white knows – all lead to a shattering truth Santoro does not want to believe.
What We Thought:
- I make no apologies for my love of this film. Oh sure, it’s the very definition of style over substance, but what a style!
- The entire opening is one long shot, introducing the setting, the primary characters, and the style of the film. Breathtaking! Least we forget, the entire ending, including the credits, is also one long uninterrupted shot.
- Between those two technical achievements we get a gorgeous, utterly silly, absolutely engaging thriller, where Brian De Palma uses every trick from the goody bag. Split-focus shots, split screen, and whatever else he can think of. Surveillance footage, breaking the fourth wall, and repeating scenes endlessly from multiple angles, every time revealing new information.
- Admittedly the story has no depth at all. The convoluted conspiracy plot barely registers, and all the characters are wafer-thin – they are what they do, sometimes not even that.
- I should probably be upset with the film for aiming so low, but I’m too busy watching the spectacle. Don’t bother me with a theme dammit, I’m watching De Palma doing a crane shot over several hotel rooms, with the ceiling removed!
- Quality-wise this is slightly better than what we’ve come to expect from a no-extras, no-nonsense catalogue Blu-ray release. Pretty sharp, natural-looking image and a decent soundtrack.
- Snake Eyes is a riveting, roller-coaster ride to nowhere. The equivalent of putting everything on black, winning big, and spending the whole loot at the hotel bar. Only this time you won’t have a headache when it’s over. You’ll walk out into the bright morning sun, without any regrets.
- A trailer. In other words: Nothing. The disc is region free.
Notable Cast & Crew:
- Nicolas Cage
- Gary Sinise
- Carla Gugino
- Kevin Dunn
- Stan Shaw
- John Heard
Recommended if You Like:
- Mid-range crazy Nicolas Cage
- Brian De Palma movies
- Conspiracy thrillers
Extra Features: None